Cupcakegirly

Jenuine Cupcakes

Ever (Ever, #1) - Jessa Russo Thank you Netgalley and Curiosity Quills Press for this ARC. Frustrated. This is the best way I can describe how this book made me feel. I think the cover is pretty, the summary intriguing and while there were parts that I found interesting, the overall impression it's left me with is frustration. The biggest dislike for me was discovering 3/4 of the way through that it's not a stand alone. It ends with too many unanswered questions and a love triangle that was awkward. There didn't seem to be enough background story about Ever and Frankie other than they'd grown up together and she's always loved him. How he came to be a ghost, or rather, why he remains a ghost is glossed over and that left me with a ton of questions. Has their relationship always been one-sided? Where did his nickname for her come from? Where does he goes when he vanishes? Why is he so intent on her staying away from Toby? I had really hard time connecting with them as a potential couple.Then there's Toby. I didn't trust him at first and found his behavior very forward but as the story progressed, I actually liked him the best which isn't saying a lot because we're given very little information about him or the others. This is a pretty crucial part of the book to leave out, I think. It seemed like the focus was more on the wanna be love triangle which wouldn't have been bad if there were more details about the characters themselves. I couldn't find any information on a forthcoming book but I cant imagine there wouldn't be one with the way this one ended. However, a lot of blanks will need to be filled in for the next one to hold my interest.Spoilers* (I've tried to be as vague as possible but if you haven't read the book, I don't suggest reading any further.)We're told that Toby and the others are soul collectors but that's it. No other details are given. I equate this to Edward telling Bella he's a vampire and leaving it at that. ("Bella, I'm a vampire. End of story.") How can you reveal what Toby is but not explain how he came to be, what his duties are or what it means for Ever in the long run?We never find out who Toby's "Dad" really is and why Ariadne seems to be able to read minds, or at least she acts as if she can.It bothered me how quickly both Jess and Ever fell in love with Greg and Toby. Was is because the guys are able to influence the girls or the other way around? Does the fact that both girls can see Frankie mean they have hidden powers that have yet to be revealed? (Not everyone can see him.)How long can Frankie's new appearance really last before he's discovered? Before he gets tired of being couped up in Ever's house again?