Cupcakegirly

Jenuine Cupcakes

On the Island - Tracey Garvis-Graves Thank you to Edelweiss and Penguin for this book. This was an engrossing, epic story that left me feeling a range of emotions. I laughed, I cried and I was uncomfortable at times. I enjoyed the alternating POV's but I did find Anna's to be somewhat stilted in the beginning and again towards the end. T.J.'s point of view was my favorite and his transition from a boy into young manhood was both humorous and heart breaking.This story definitely tests the, "If you were the only two people stranded on a deserted island..." theory and is not without it's challenges. I don't see how you could endure what Anna and T.J. do and not fall in love but if I'm honest, their age difference did bother me. (I'm not sure if it's because I'm the Mom of two boys or what, but it did.) Their time on the island does seem to blur the years between them but the issues raised at the press conference brings it right back into focus. I definitely think T.J.'s experience with cancer made him wise beyond his years but as was apparent through much of the story, a big age gap does impact a relationship depending on what stage of life you're in. I found it interesting how the author used what was such a horrible tragedy for most of world as the catalyst for something positive for Anna and T.J.'s lives. The reactions from their relatives seemed realistic and understandable and I was happy with the way this book ended.